HNU 2021-2022 Application Guide for Chinese Government Scholarship
Hainan University is a comprehensive key university formed by a merger with the former South China University of Tropical Agriculture in August 2007. The university has made great achievements by adhering to the motto of "openness and inclusiveness" and the spirit of "self-improvement, dedication, kindness and perseverance". In December 2008, it was approved by the state as a key university under the 211 Project. In 2012, it was included in the Plan of Strengthening Higher Education in Middle and Western China and was successively supported by the National Basic Ability Construction Project of Western and Central China and the National Comprehensive Strength Enhancement Project of Western and Central China. In 2017, HNU was listed in the national plan for establishing world-class disciplines. In 2018, the Hainan provincial Party Committee and provincial government made a strategic decision to fully sponsor the development of Hainan University. Also in that year, the university came under the joint administration of the Ministry of Education and the Hainan Provincial People's Government, and was included among universities directly administered by the Ministry of Education.
A. Bilateral Program
The Chinese Gove-rnment Scholarship (CGS) Bilateral Program has been established by MOE in accordance with educational exchange agreements or understandings reached between the Chinese government and the governments of other countries, organizations, education institutions or relevant international organizations. It provides both full scholarships and partial scholarships for international students and scholars, including those who wish to pursue a Bachelor's degree, a Master's degree, a Doctoral degree, or to study Chinese language as a full-time student.
The Bilateral Program supports undergraduate students, graduate students, general scholars and senior scholars.
1. Applicants should be non-Chinese citizen, in good physical and mental condition, with good academic performance and conduct;
2.Education background and age requirements:
（1）Applicants for Bachelor’s Degree program must have high school degree and be under the age of 25.
（2）Applicants for Master’s degree must have a Bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35.
（3）Applicants for Doctorate degree must have a Master’s degree and be under the age of 40
（4）Applicants for general scholars must have high school degree and be under age of 45.
（5）Applicants for senior scholars must have Master’s degree and be associate professor or higher and under age of 50.
3. Language Requirements:
Applicants for Chinese-taught programs must provide a valid Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) certificate. Undergraduate or non-degree (general scholar & senior scholar) candidates should have achieved HSK Level 3 or above; Postgraduate candidates should have achieved HSK Level 4 or above. Applicants for English-taught programs should provide valid English Proficiency Test (IELTS or TOFEL) certificates.
Scholarship recipients of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese proficiency must take Chinese language courses for one academic year to reach the language requirements before moving on to their major studies. Failure to reach the required language proficiency will lead to the automatic termination of scholarship.
4. Please consult the dispatching authorities of your home country for other specific requirements.
The Bilateral Program provides both full scholarships and partial scholarships
1. Full Scholarship
Full scholarship covers tuition, accommodation（free dormitory rooms）, and comprehensive medical insurance, and provides a monthly stipend (Undergraduate students: CNY 2,500 per month; Master’s students/general scholars: CNY 3,000 per month; Doctoral students/senior scholars: CNY 3,500 per month.)
2. Partial scholarship
Partial scholarship covers One or some items of the full scholarships
Where and When to Apply
Where to Apply:
Apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country.
Application deadline : Between early January and early April. Please consult the dispatching authorities for the specific deadline of each year.
Step 2 – After being recommended by the dispatching authorities as an eligible candidate (you will receive an Award Letter for CGS Candidate), apply to Hainan University for the Pre-admission Letter.
Step 3 -Complete the online application with the CGS Information System(http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org and click “Application Online” to log in), submit online the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship, and print a hard copy. You should consult the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country for Instructions of CGS Information System and Agency Number;
Step 4 - Submit all of your application documents to the dispatching authorities of your home country before the deadline.
Step 5 - Hainan University prepares admission documents including Letter of Admission and Visa Application Form (JW201) for Scholarship recipients.
B. Chinese University Program
(For Graduate Programs) ; Chinese University Program is a full scholarship for designated Chinese universities and certain provincial education offices in specific provinces or autonomous regions to recruit outstanding international students for graduate studies in China.
For Undergraduate programs Please visit Hainan University(HNU) 2021 Undergraduate programs
for programs information.
2. The scholarship is unavailable for applicants:
(a) who were studying in China between September 2020 to June 2021;
(b) students who apply to study their native language in China or a third country language such as English, French and etc.
3. The duration of the scholarship will be specified in the Admission Letter, covering both the major study and the Chinese language study, and cannot be extended in general.
The Chinese University Program provides a full scholarship which covers: tuition, accommodation（free dormitory rooms, and comprehensive medical insurance. The Chinese University Program also provides a monthly stipend (master’ s students: CNY 3,000 per month; doctoral students: CNY 3,500 per month).
Where and When to Apply
Where to Apply: International Admission and Cooperation Office, School of International Education, Hainan University.
Application Deadline ; Between February 5 and April 15, 2021.
1. Applicants should be non-Chinese citizen, in good physical and mental condition, with good academic performance and conduct; Be obligated to observe Chinese laws and university’s regulations, respect Chinese culture and customs, fulfill all the conditions of Chinese Entry-exit, and comply with the relevant regulations of Ministry of Education of the PRC".
2. Applicants should not be a registered student in a Chinese university at the time of application (If you’ve graduated from a Chinese university and it’s been more than one year since graduating, you’re still eligible).
3. Be a bachelor's degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master's programs; be a master's degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs.
4. Language Requirements:Applicants for Chinese-taught programs are required to obtain an HSK Band 4 with scores above 180 when applying;Applicants for English-taught programs are required to obtain one of the following English tests: a score of 560 or above (paper-based test) or 78 or above (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) , or a minimum overall band of 6.0 when applying. Condition of exemption of submitting English level certificates: English-speaking students (Countries with English as native language or official language)
Step1 - Complete the online application procedure at CGS Information SystemGo to http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org and click “Application Online” to log in, submit online the completed Application Form for the Chinese Government Scholarship, and print a hard copy.
The agency number of Hainan University is 10589.
The Program Category: Type B.
Step 2 – Complete the University online application system athttps://hainu.17gz.org/
Step 3 – The completed application documents in duplicate must be submitted via post to the International Admission and Cooperation Office, School of International Education, Hainan University before April 15. (Please check Application Documents for the detailed checklist below.)
（Both the forms should be completed in the application system and printed. The links are: https://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/login and https://hainu.17gz.org/）.
2.Valid Passport Copy.
3. Notarized highest diploma attained & Academic Transcripts; if the applicant is a campus student, he has to submit an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date, the original certificate should be provided after admission. If the applicant is an employer, he has to submit a Certificate of Incumbency issued by the unit or company which he's working for.
4. Proof of Chinese or English proficiency. A valid HSK certificate (Applicants for Chinese-taught programs), or a valid IELTS or TOEFL certificate (Applicants for English-taught programs) .
5. A copy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form and Blood Test Report. The physical examination must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. The form must be fully completed and have the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital, a sealed photograph of the applicant. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered invalid.
6. Two Recommendation Letters written in Chinese or English; Applicants must submit two recommendation letters signed by a professor or an associate professor.
7. A Study Plan or Research Proposal written in Chinese or English (a minimum of 1000 for postgraduate programs and 1500 words for Ph.D Programs).
8. A copy of Certificate of No Criminal Record.
9. Foreigners who's working in China must provide a copy of valid Visa or residence permit and official employment proof.
10. CV (including publication list if available).
11. If one or both parents of the applicants are Chinese citizens, or applicants who were originally Chinese citizens and obtained foreign nationalities afterward, a certificate of living abroad and the entry and exit seal page of visiting China on the applicant’s passport during the recent 4 years should be provided.
1. All application materials should be bound together on top left corner in the order of 1 to 11and submitted in duplicate (one original & one copy). Whether the application is successful or not, the application documents will not be returned.
2. Application materials which do not meet the above requirements will be regarded as invalid and will not be accepted;
3.Applicants must fill in the system truthfully in Chinese or in English. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations;
4. The office will not send email to every applicants, Please contact us if you need confirmation.
2. Hainan University will deliver materials of applicants who pass the HU review to CSC and wait for the final admission results approved from CSC (normally around July, the exact date is decided by CSC each year).
3. Hainan University will announce the admission result officially on website, email and post Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201) to scholarship winners in July.
4. Registration: The beginning of September generally, specified in the Letter of Admission.
5. Scholarship students must participate in an annual scholarship evaluation. Scholarship holders who fail to meet the requirements will have their scholarship cancelled.
6. Scholarship recipients shall not change their host university, field of study, or duration of study unless they give up the grant.
7. The Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the specified deadline.